Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jacksonville Race Round #3

Mud, Sweat, and No Gears. That was the story in a nut shell about Jacksonville. I watched the weather the week before the race and saw that they received 12+ inches of rain. I knew conditions would be tough but I was prepared for the worst.
Practice on Saturday was a joke, the course was under water, 5 laps of this s#*T, Dave was nuts! Well Sunday came and we were the late wave so I thought the early wave would push some of the mud out. Not the case!
On the starting line we were told that the race was reduced by 1 lap. That's fine with me! I was off to a good start and went into the woods in 3rd then made a few mistakes and dropped to 5th. There were 2 sections of the course that were about 40 yards long of 6"-8" of mud, this was so physically draining I can't even describe it. Not to mention these sections were in the beginning and the end of every lap. In the middle of the course was a few water crossings that were not bad at all, except one. This water hole was 10 yards long and thigh deep in the middle. The good thing about it was was you had a chance to clean your body and the bike. By the end of the race I was in 4th and caught 3rd but had nothing to challenge the position due to the fatigue.
My summary: New drive train, New brake pads, New bottom bracket, New headset, New shifter cables, and 3hours of rebuild time. 4th place winnings covers cables. Try to sell someone on why I compete in this sport after weekends like this, that's a tough one.
I had no good pictures to down load so check out Goneriding.com and look up the Jacksonville race photos and you will see the mess that occurred.
Gainsville race story in a few days, the race was awesome!

No comments: